samedi 26 mars 2011

Cutting Edge

Today I`d like to talk about one of my hobbies--collecting pocket knives. Before I begin, however I attach a picture of the miracle knife I spoke of yesterday, chiefly for the benefit of someone called Sarkosi who seemed most interested and asked for details. He may be able to trace the manufacturer by looking in the records of  the Ministere de Guerre for 18 October 1911. Over to you, Mr S...
  Being serious for once I have always been keen on pocket knives since I was permitted to have one at ten or so. I hasten to add that I am not a homicidal maniac, have never in 60 years or so even threatened anyone with a knife.  It makes me sad to see the disrepute that these useful and fascinating tools have fallen into. The virtual banning of them in the UK especially is unlikely to reduce crime, criminals and toughs can always find knives  and guns, it just inconveniences honest folk.
  As a teenager, ( though we weren`t called that then) I always had one in my pocket. Only one at a time however as I had a fatal habit of losing them. After a decent period of mourning the loss of my faithful friend I would be off to Lawsons in New George St to reprovision.  This was and is a happy hunting ground for Plymouth kids with ironmongery on the ground floor and models and hobbies upstairs.
  The knives were all made in Sheffield of course by firms like I X L or Joseph Rodgers ,who made many different models.  So I was amazed and delighted on coming to France to find that each Region and indeed many towns have their own distinctive model of knife, and that most countryfolk have one in their pocket.  Most of you will have seen the ubiquitous Laguiole with its slim blade and curved handle, but what about the Garonnais from the mouth of the Garonne, the Alpin from the Alps or the London from Bretagne.  There are literally dozens to discover.  I was in hog heaven.
  A few years ago Hachette Collections issued a series of fascicules about each model together with an example designed by a famous French cutler but for reasons of price made in China.  It was like Christmas every month for me and I learned much not only about the knives themselves but also about the regions or towns from which they came.  If anyone is interested ( or indeed if they are not ) I may touch on the subject again later  Bye for now...

1 commentaire: