samedi 12 juillet 2014

Telephone scam

At nine this morning, the phone rang and a voice with an Indian accent asked me if  I spoke English, not a common phenomenon on a French phone. When I said I did he began the usual spiel that his firm had detected a dangerous virus on my computer, and he would no doubt have offered to fix it if I would tell him my codes and bank details! I did not allow him to proceed called him a liar and a thief and put the phone down...
I expect you are all familiar with this hoary old scam, but I supposes it must still gather some innocent victims, so I will state that you should not believe him, NEVER give such details to a phone caller and put the phone down. However, it is the sheer incompetence of the caller which is astonishing. Why ask for English speakers on French telephone numbers, can't he be bothered to lean some French? Most subscribers must be French, after all. Why not call UK numbers, do they think migrants are more credulous? Kim had a similar call a few days ago, and when she stated in French that she could not speak English, the phone was put down. Perhaps it is an Indian cottage industry....

Bye for now and stay safe!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire