jeudi 1 mai 2014

The dangers of the internet

 I have always had an on-off relationship with computers and the Net. In the last years of my career with CIS insurance I developed an aversion for computers, blaming them, perhaps unjustly for the catastrophic deterioration of my working conditions. With hindsight I can see the this was more due to a combination of continual staff reduction and a lack of proper training  on computers, allied to the general belief of computer experts that anyone can quickly understand them, a belief still completely mistaken in my case. Later, my interest in photography led to a renewal of interest in a computer as a means at first of displaying and improving images and then in a developing interest in what the machines could offer. The starting of this blog helped in the process and I have now changed to being an enthusiast, albeit a rather ignorant one. The ability to talk to anywhere in the world, to inform oneself on any subject or to put one's comments before a global audience is truly fascinating.
  However, in the last few weeks I have become aware of a couple of snags in the system. It can easily lead to offending people and even to losing friends, upset by comments which, if made verbally , would have passed almost unnoticed. A comment made on Facebook will likely be brought to the attention of the person mentioned, even if the remark was made to someone else in a different context. And a remark in back print, which can be read over and over and which is paraded before all the world has an impact far greater than a throw-away remark made in a face-to face conversation.
  It is truly said that everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but I have seen this proverb extended to read 'as long as he keeps it to himself' and although humouristic there is some truth in this adage if the opinion can upset a friend. I recently made a comment on Facebook which contradicted a friend who is passionately committed to Scottish Independence: I had thought my comments were just  a commentary on the political process and was amazed at the heat of his response. I apologised humbly for upsetting him and perhaps for commenting on affairs which I knew little about and our friendship was mended after a brief rocky period. I had not counted on how my comments could upset someone so wholly committed. Kim lately has had the same problem in commenting on local politics and a valued friendship has been put at risk by a difference of opinion , the more so as she was also upset by a remark made against church goers which she took personally.
   What to do about this problem? Should we refrain from all comments which could upset friends? Seems a shame and could well reduce the content of the Net very considerably. Or should we 'publish and be damned'  I haven't yet found a satisfactory answer. The only thoughts I have been able to crystalise are that we should think twice before putting a comment on line, to be sure that what we are saying is true, that we know about the subject, and we bear in mind that what we say can upset people and that sometimes the proverb 'least said soonest mended' might take precedence. So much so, that I may well not publish this blog...

Bye for now

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire