lundi 19 mai 2014

French tax form What a struggle!



  Maybe it's me, but I really dread this time of year when the annual tax return drops through the door. Even the English one is no piece of cake with three small pensions and a letting to detail, but the French one is an absolute nightmare. The tax years are different for a start, so P60 details have to be apportioned, and the French of course want it quoted in Euros, for which you have to ring up for the approved rate from an office whose phone is perpetually engaged. All in all several days of hair-pulling calculations.

   And the final straw is that all my income arises and is taxed in Britain, we do have a double-taxation agreement between our two countries so really there should be no need to complete the form at all. Usually, though not always there is no tax to pay.

  This was the line I used to take when we first came to live here permanently. I didn't bother them and vice versa. Sadly, when Kim decided to take out French Nationality, the first thing they asked for was her last five years tax returns, and this was our first introduction to the system... Now I have  risen above the radar, and get a return each year. The lady at the Impots office explained that they had to check to see if we paid less tax under the English regime in which case they would want to collect the difference. I do have a sneaking suspicion that there would be a vast reduction in jobs in the Impots office if the sensible thing were done...

   Still, it's no good kicking against the pricks, so we will just have to put up with it. I have finally finished the wretched thing, hooray!! This afternoon it will be posted by hand through the Melle tax office door and I can finally relax.  Unless of course the dragons in the office are not happy with what I have put and ask for an interview...

    Bye for now, going to wind down with coffee and some chocolate!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire