mardi 5 juillet 2011

The sermon on the mont...

I thought I`d try to give you some idea of a day at `Vers les Cimes` the building and setting you can see in the photo on the left. As I said in my previous blog, it is a `colonie de vacances` owned by the Evangelical church at Orthez, dedicated mainly to giving adventure holidays to children  .  Each season a `Camp des Ainés` is run the week before the childrens` season commences.
   I usually woke up at about seven and dressed quietly so as not to wake Kim. I would then walk down the corridor and out onto the stairhead and would stop to admire the Gabizos mountain right in front of me. I never fail to wonder at its magnificence! Then, down the steps to see how the dogs have survived the night in the car under the trees.I give them their breakfast, lead them up and off for a walk in the nearby forest track the Route de Then.
   Back to camp about eight, stash the dogs then go to wake up Kim. Spruced up a bit, we go down to breakfast with the other Ainés . Everybody is encouraged to bring local produce so there is an amazing assortment of home-made jams to sample. Plenty of coffee to wake up Kim, too.
  After a brief interval we have a little talk an a hymn led by one of us, then the Pasteur takes over for a reflection on his biblical theme with another song added. This year`s theme was forgiveness and reconciliation. The Pasteur, Emile Nichole, also played keyboard, most convenient. After that we were usually free until lunch,which was prepared for us from local produce and was copious and tasty, and even more...I DIDN`T HAVE TO COOK IT!
   After lunch had been digested with a short sieste, the expedition of the day was on the agenda. We would drive in convoy with the colo`s bus to a col somewhere and leaving the less energetic we`d walk further `uppards` Some fantastic walks, some strenuous some more leisurely.
  On our return to camp, time for apero`s, then dinner (see notes on lunch!)
  The evening was variously spent, sometimes silly games, sometimes free. One evening we took part in a local music festival with a hastily rehearsed choral contribution which seemed well received.
  The week passed all too quickly and it was time to leave. But we did not go straight back to Deux Sèvres!  What we did I`ll keep for my next blog....

         Bye for now!!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire