mercredi 20 avril 2011

End of an era?


A minor tragedy put me in mind of my change of state yesterday-- rushing to answer the phone I knocked down and broke my CIS mug one of the few reminders of my last employment. I realised that I had moved on and have never regretted leaving this employment or indeed any paid employment. Rude persons may say it`s because I`m lazy and I would admit there is an element of truth in this. Still I find it a little sad when a person admits that they live for their job, however fulfilling it may be. Besides in modern times there is danger in this: if you associate too closely with a position what do you do when you retire or worse, if you are suddenly made redundant? It can be a devastating shock and destroy the person`s self-confidence.
  I have a theory that it is a good thing to change career several times in your working life.  That way you cease to identify yourself with a job--you dont describe yourself as a Doctor or a plumber and thus if you cease to do the job you don`t lose your identity or self-worth. I will admit it doesn`t do much for your pension prospects, but that can be sorted by investment or by buying a French house while they were cheap!
  On another note, do you like the new header for the Ark? I spent yesterday afternoon while Kim was working on her patchwork in drawing the new heading picture and eventually succeeded in loading it onto the site.  I like the effect, hope you do too!  Bye for now.
  

2 commentaires:

  1. Love the new pic - very impressed you have managed to get it on the Mac and the site!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. It wasn`t easy ,Jax! The scanner doesnT like the Mac so used the camera to upload. But to reduce the header to a proper size I used a minimum of pixells to take the pic.

    RépondreSupprimer