dimanche 22 novembre 2015

Noah's progress, back to the ark on Tuesday

Well, I seem to have been here in rehab at LeGrand Feu practically for ever, in danger of feeling that this is my natural habitat! I can see how people become institutionalised, life seems to flow along without much change, week by week. Luckily, I have been able to return home at the weekends to remind me that life goes on on the outside
   However, the time has not been wasted, looking back I can realise the difference in my current condition and the state I was in when I entered. Then, I could scarcely move the fingers of my left hand, couldn't raise my arm at all, and needed to scoot around in a wheelchair. Now, the chair is long gone, and I can walk around with almost no limp ( still working on that ) my hand works pretty well as normal, with the thumb opposable, and the arm can reach above my head. It's all a bit weak, of course, though much stronger than it was, and I tire very quickly, but it's really a question of  regaining stamina! This weekend, I have been able to undertake simple jobs like lighting the fire, letting the dogs out in the cour and don't feel so completely dependent on Kim. She has been very supportive and in many ways has been worse affected than I, having to do all the driving, housework and pet care, and has never complained. Of course, at times, I have despaired a bit, and lost sight of the progress made when I compare it to the mountain still to climb, the capacity lost compared to that regained but the main thing is to keep positive.

 Anyway, on Tuesday, I am to be released, to return home to stay, we are both overjoyed. Details need to be sorted out for some continuing therapy, but I think the best therapy will be to use the damaged limbs in daily life, to exercise the muscles in doing daily tasks. I'll let you know how we get on! Wish me luck!

 Bye for now, from Le Grand Feu, but not for long......

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire