mercredi 8 février 2012

Three-score and ten...



    One of the benefits of Facebook is that you get loads of friends and family wishing you a happy birthday...but the drawback is they all seem to know which birthday it is! Still, I`m really not worried, and I don`t feel any older inside. My counterpart, Noah, was 600 years old when the Ark floated, so I`m really a spring chicken in comparison. If my health holds out I don`t care if I approach his very respectable total--after all he lived for a further 300 years or so, I have plenty of time!
    However, an advantage which doesn`t come from Facebook, is a sense of perspective; most situations you have seen before. This current cold snap is no new phenomenon to someone who has lived through the winter of 1962/63. I was living at Portsmouth at the time in  `digs` whose land-lady was more glacial than the weather. It started to snow on Christmas Eve when I was visiting my father at Plymouth. The snow was so bad I couldn`t get my car back to Portsmouth and had to return on the train, the heating of which failed at Exeter. It was two weeks later before I could re-patriate the Morgan, and the snow hung around the streets of Portsmouth until nearly April. I used to take the Dockyard harbour launch across to Priddy`s Hard at Gosport each day to work, and after a few days the harbour started to freeze up, salt water or no! I didn`t feel warm for months.. Had the choice of an Ariel motorcycle or the open Morgan, neither of which was a very comfortable transport. Nowadays I have never had it so good!Surviving this cool episode is a positive breeze!
 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire