mercredi 21 décembre 2011

A Very Merry Christmas to all Ark followers!!



  I would like to send warmest Christmas greetings to everyone who has shared in the voyage of the Ark this year. It has been quite a trip, from timid beginnings and I seem to have amassed a huge heap of postings, some more memorable than others. The Ark and it`s crew and passengers are in good health now and are looking forward to the festive season (or at least the crew is, the passengers will have to take it as it comes).
   Talking of memorable, what is your earliest memory of a Christmas present? I would like to share mine with you.
  Bear in mind that I was born during the war - do I have to clarify which one now!-- in 1942. After the peace there followed a time of austerity in England when you could not just go out and buy what you wanted, even if you could afford to. My parents obviously had difficulties in obtaining toys and I received the extraordinary present I shall now describe, possibly home-made by my uncle.
   Imagine the flat-bottomed hull of a liner, shaped out of a solid log and painted green. About 18 inches long. In the centre of its deck an oblong hole had been cut at the bottom of which was attached an ordinary mouse trap. A dowell was inserted in the side of the boat at `sea-level` which, when pushed set off the mouse trap. On top of the set trap you placed a plywood deck and on top of this were placed wooden blocks representing the deck-houses with a mast and a red Cunard funnel on top.
  You must imagine then the jaunty liner sailing on its carpet sea. I could then retire to the other side of the room and roll marbles at the ship trying to strike the dowell. When I did the trap sprang, throwing all the deck-houses, mast and funnel in the air in a most satisfying way--the ship had been torpedoed!
   Thinking back, perhaps this was a bit non-U for wartime, just as well the war had finished. Perhaps my uncle `liberated` the present from the Germans or the Italians? In any case, I had hours of fun with it and its memory is even more durable  due to the painful whacks I received from setting the trap if mis-handled. Would not have passed health and safety tests nowadays!
     Still, it has left vivid memories over 60 years later, so it must rank as a highly successful gift, must it not?

    Happy Christmas to all!  Bye for now!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire