lundi 2 mai 2011

Begging with menace

On Saturday when I was coming back from dropping Mrs Noah at Bordeaux Airport to go to Bristol, I unwisely second-guessed my GPS and found I was heading South instead of North.  The clever device soon showed a get- back- on- track route which looped round via minor roads, including traffic lights against me. As I approached the lights I saw a crowd of people at the side of the road, offering screen cleaning to the stopped cars. Although I clearly gestured that I did not want this two girls covered the screen with suds, wiped it off and held out their hands for pay. I handed over two Euros only to be told by the left hand girl that it was not enough and was then approached by the right side girl also demanding payment for her efforts. I hit the door locks and as the lights then changed I got away without further hassle
  Now I dont deny that the service shows initiative but I dont like the attempt to extort more money than the service was worth.  A few years ago a Romanian woman called at our door and showed the same reflex  She asked for a contribution to her medical expenses and when given five Euros asked for 500 Euros saying that she needed it to pay her bill!  A few moments later another woman came to try her luck too.
 Am I alone in finding these begging approaches close to demanding money with menaces?  It certainly coloured my view of Romanians for some time.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire