samedi 27 juin 2015

French as she is spoke

   As I said in my last blog, we have been in a French-speaking environment this last week,which has led me to consider the question of speaking this tongue. I realise you have never finished learning, more vocabulary is acquired, possibly a better or at least a different accent is picked up... I have found myself this week sounding the final mute syllables on words ending in e or ent, as the locals do but not the more Parisian French. I hope I don't pick up the local way of pronouncing words like 'pain or domain'  as paing or demaing, which to my ears sounds harsh.
   The locals also have their patois, incomprehensible to outsiders when spoken at breakneck speed. Nevertheless, when I have seen it written, I feel it often resembles mis-spelt French, although I am sure the locals would take issue with me. It seems like Devon or Tyneside dialect, a few 'new' words but really recognizable as a variant of the parent language. Not at all a separate tongue like Welsh or Breton.

 Oh, that's it, the I-Pad has warned me of low battery, I must wind up these musings...Bye for now!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire