dimanche 13 novembre 2011

Strange phenomena in the English Channel


First let me set the scene.. For the last few weeks Kim has been in the UK lending a bit of moral support to our daughter, who is involved in the almost insuperable task of rearing teenage children. I would give more details but, as I have remarked before, this is a family blog and `adult` content is quite inappropriate.. She crossed to Plymouth where we lived before by taking the plane to Bristol, where Alyson picked her up.  However, the return trip was planned for me to cross via Brittany Ferries from Roscoff to Plymouth to spend a few days there myself  to carry out a few DIY jobs and to bring back `one or two` items that Kim had bought. Our car (exhibit A above ) is not a large one, in fact, not to put too fine a point on it, it is very small, a Peugeot 106. This time we had decided to take two of our dogs across and had carried out the somewhat complicated procedure for obtaining their own passports.
  So I duly arrived in Plymouth and spent a pleasant few days catching up with the changes to my home-town.  Like most wrinklies, I didn`t approve of most of them but then neither do the Plymothians, the new and expensive road system seeming to do very little to help the morning and evening traffic jams.
  However, I was somewhat concerned to find that Kim had run amok and accumulated a bedroom full of items which she proposed to repatriate to France in the long-suffering 106 as well as the dogs and us. `No way` I thought but being an experienced husband, I kept my doubts to myself. My daughter compounded the problem by adding a large wrapped Christmas present to the heap. I shook my head sadly but privately.
   The day we were to set out Kim began to pack the car, in a fine drizzle, of course, this is Plymouth after all!  The Tourist board years ago publicised the area as Sunny Devon, a blatant lie which would breach the Trades Descriptions Act nowadays, but I digress. Kim is a sorceress at packing and I use the word quite literally. Would you believe she crammed the contents of that spare room first into suitcases then into the tiny car and managed to include me and the dogs, and of course herself. I just would not have believed it possible. It is true the dogs` allocated space would have shocked the RSPCA but by dint of putting the largest case on the seat for the crossing (the dogs travel in the car) they made it without any harm.  We thus managed to return to our French home with a complete outfit of new wotsits without having to leave anything behind, well not on purpose anyway.
  A miracle that Dr Who would have understood but not me!

      That`s it Folks, Bye for now!

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire